Northgate Care Home (HC1), Glasgow
Situated in Balornock, on the outskirts of Glasgow, Northgate House Care Home is a purpose built 70 bedded care home offering Dementia, Nursing and Residential care.
There is a choice of lounge areas for the residents and comfortable, well-equipped bedrooms. The ethos of Northgate House Care Home is one of kindness and resident comfort and safety is at the heart of what they do.
The opportunity to install Red Hot Green heating panels ensures minimal risk to residents whilst providing substantial energy and cost savings. Presently, they have brand new Consort Electric LST heaters used throughout the home.
It was agreed to run a controlled trial in two separate yet identical bedrooms. The current electric heating system remained active in Room 41, whereas Room 43 was replaced with a single 1kW Sunlight heating panel.
Both heating systems were set to maintain 23 degrees Celsius for 24 hours a day using identical thermostats between the dates of 22 May and 19 June 2014.
- Typical 50% savings on gas central heating
- Approximate 80% savings on conventional electric heating
- Expected 2 - 5 year return on investment
- Energy efficient low carbon heating (50% - 80% carbon reduction)
- Manufactured in Germany, installed in over 10,000 buildings across Europe
- Safety approved to EU standards (TÜV/GS, ISO9001) and CE mark
- 5 year manufacturer warranty and 25 year product lifespan
The infra red heating system will save Northgate Care Home over £30,000 per year and they will return their investment in less than 18 months. If they installed the Sunlight panels in their 70 bedrooms. Additionally, the carbon reduction would be over 770k kg/CO2.
|Consort Electrical System||Red Hot Green Sunline Panels||Savings|
|Switch on time |
(hrs per day)
|2 hr 43 min (11%)||39 min (3%)||2h 4 min|
|Energy use per day|
|Heating cost per bedroom|
|Total heating cost 70 bedrooms|
|CO2 Levels (70 bedrooms)|
|Return on Investment||1.3 years|